Tuesday, June 23

On Tuesday, June 23rd, we got to take a bus tour around Tokyo. As the guide gave us information about the various locations as we passed them, I found myself fascinated by the architecture of the city. The looming skyscrapers and winding streets reminded me of my walks through San Francisco. However, no matter the similarities in the layout of the city, the differences of the individual sites, Tokyo Tower, in-progress Olympic stadiums, and sheer number of people were striking. It was a strange mixture of familiar and alien.
  

At Meji Shine, I was entranced by the size and majesty of the structures. As I passed through the Torii gate, the leaves of the surrounding forest marked the difference between the city and the shrine.  We were asked to perform a purifying ceremony before entering the shrine, washing our hands with holy water.  The graceful slopes of the buildings within the shrine reminded me of the water used during that ceremony.






           

After the shrine, we travelled to the Imperial Gardens. The gardens were beautiful, another serene space within the bustling streets of Tokyo. The elegant landscape makes the extensive running path around the gardens a popular running path for local businessmen and women. As we walked inside the gardens, we encountered a terrifying half-fish, half-tiger statue that was once used as a warning for potential attackers. I challenged the fierce beast but suffered a quick defeat.




Last, we travelled to Asakusa shrine. Even though it was the middle of the day on a Tuesday, the shrine was full of people.  We found a place where we could pay to know our fortunes. My fortune was terrible! Luckily, I was able to get rid of my bad fortune by folding the paper and tying it to a rack of other bad fortunes the monks would later burn.

   




The tour was a wonderful way to see some of the amazing sites of Tokyo and spend time in the some spiritually and culturally significant locations of Japan. I feel quite privileged to have had this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment